Many people don’t realize how crucial their eyelids are to their overall appearance and confidence. If you have droopy, tired-looking eyes from age, genetics, or excess weight, an eyelid lift can help restore your youthful appearance. The benefits go way beyond just making you feel better about yourself. It can also help you see clearer. An eyelift can help you see a new outlook on life. Today eyelid lift surgery is, more than ever before, requested by men and women who want to achieve a younger look.
The eyelids are the first feature of your face to age, so there’s nothing wrong with wanting an eyelid lift if you feel insecure about your eyelids. And this insecurity may be caused by several reasons:
- excessive skin that droops over the eyelashes or covers part of them;
- bags under or above the eyelids;
- excess fat in the eyelids’ inner corner, which makes your eyes appear smaller.
Blepharoplasty surgery is also called an eyelid lift or an eye bag removal operation.
An eyelid lift removes the excess skin and sometimes a little bit of muscle and fat to rejuvenate the area around the face. This can also be done on cheeks and brows in patients where the excess skin is hanging across the upper eyelids, obstructing their field of vision. Eyelid lift surgery is a very safe procedure. It is an outpatient procedure, meaning you go home the same day.
Though eyelid lift surgery may seem scary or intimidating to some people, it’s actually a simple procedure with a swift recovery period.
Here is what happens with this procedure:
- The surgeon marks the incision lines around the eyes.
- Local anesthesia is used with light sedation, which is comfortable for the patient and allows for faster recovery and minimal downtime.
- Skin incisions are created.
- Both skin and underlying fat pockets are reduced to achieve an optimal result.
- Excess skin is pulled up to create a tighter look.
- Everything is repositioned with precision to give the correct aesthetic look.
- The surgeon ensures the eyelid continues to function as a protective part of the eye.
- The surgeon will confirm there is no bleeding and that tissues are sitting appropriately.
- Sutures are put into place.
Now that the procedure is complete, it is time to recover. Here are some things to expect from the recovery process:
- Use cold compresses for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off for the first two days to keep swelling down. Most people experience some bruising and swelling, and then it settles down over the next week or two.
- Keep antibiotic ointment on the incision sites.
- The sutures are removed after about one week.
- Complete surgical healing will take about one year. However, generally speaking, patients are ready for social events within one to two weeks after surgery.
Optimal healing is supported by a healthy lifestyle. Smoking, lack of sleep, and poor diet can result in sub-optimal recovery. By the six-month point after surgery, swelling should be decreased enough to conclude that the appearance is close to the final result.
Eyelid lift improves eyelid hooding as well, relieving sagging and redundant eyelid skin due to genetics or aging.
This is commonly performed to help the eyes appear more open and vibrant. The purpose of surgery for hooded eyes is to reveal the true shape of the eyes. The hooding ends up defining the perception of the eye shape and involuntarily conveys negative emotions, such as sadness, fatigue, and even anger or disapproval.
Understanding this goal of revealing the true shape of the eyes without making the eyes look too open is critical for this procedure to go right. The design, the amount of skin to be addressed, and the amount of soft tissue and underlying fat pockets to be contoured are all done based on an artistic plan. The execution of this plan requires technical expertise with the efficient performance of the eyelid lift surgery.
An eyelid lift is a very fulfilling operation.
Not only does it restore someone’s field of vision, but it also restores their confidence. Eyelid surgery can give patients a refreshed sense of self-confidence, which leads to more happiness. This procedure doesn’t take much time either. In addition, eyelid surgery is relatively cost-effective in comparison to other types of cosmetic procedures. With this said, it’s no wonder why so many facial plastic surgeons recommend eyelid lifts as a great way to boost and improve their quality of life.